When the Fox is Told to Guard the Chicken Coop
A Christian writer I enjoy is Karen Swallows. She has been, or maybe still is, a professor. She was a Southern Baptist and still opposes abortion but has interesting critiques of her Southern religious community.
In the link she laments the many clergy who use honorary titles as if they are titles earned through academic accomplishments. A common one is "Doctor." Many who stand behind pulpits use or abuse honorary degrees.
Christianity has an almost impossible task is establishing credentials of preachers or authorities. This comes from the lack of proof or even evidence of the tenets of the faith. The claim that God created the universe is a good start. The Bible begins with a far-fetched creation story and quickly morphs into an impossible world-wide flood. After the Old Testament the not believable stories show up of virgin birth, walking on water and coming back to life.
Anyone preaching or teaching this stuff may be tempted to say, "Gosh, if people believe Jesus came back from being dead, why would they not believe I am a prophet or Ph D or hear directly from God? I can't pass up this opportunity."
Whenever people want to argue with me here or in other venues telling me I need "proof" there is no God, I enjoy bringing up author/speaker Bobby Henderson whom on a lark told a state legislature public schools should be required to teach students about the Flying Spaghetti Monster. I heard Henderson speak once at an atheist conference.
Henerson wrote a book I have that fictitiously gives voice to the Flying Spaghetti Monster. The Monster writes that he is often asked why he is invisible instead of a real monster walking about. The Monster explained that he surveyed the public before arriving asking which would be more real, invisible or visible. The survey results told him he would be more real if he remained invisible.
This is quite logical. Frequently people, always men, announce they are Jesus. No one believes them. If there was a real Jesus who showed up people would scoff. When it comes to gods, I enjoy the Flying Spaghetti Monster more than the others.
Comments
Post a Comment