As Christianity Slides, Will Christians "Suffer"


On websites, and I'm sure in private conversations between Christians every day, there is concern about how much "religious freedom" they will have as their numbers decline. The link discusses a case won by a Christian group to allow teachers to pray while on break in front of the school's U.S. flag. The school had incorrectly said its policy of not endorsing any religious view made the flagpole prayers a violation. The school lost in court. The link was about how this prohibition to where and when people can express and show off their religious beliefs will become more common and how terrible that will be. 

There was a song in the 1960's called "Walk a Mile in My Shoes." It's an old saying as well. It might be useful for Christians to look at the life of non Christians around them, maybe their close friends and family member, and find out what it is like to not be a Christian. They would learn how it will be when their own numbers get smaller and smaller. In other words, Christians should learn to walk a mile in the shoes of today's non Christian. This might be the atheist, the Hindu, the Jew or Muslim.

A few years back I attended the wedding of two people in their 80's. The bride was a close relative. The groom was a retired missionary and preacher who let you know about his successes in life. I happened to sit a table of this grandchildren and their spruces. One young man who had married into the family was obviously of Middle eastern heritage and I learned later a practicing Muslim. I learned that at the time of this marriage, the preacher Grandfather had said, "I have trouble approving of this marriage. But, OK, let's give Ali one year to find Jesus."

I live in a condo which has lots of nice and friendly people. Once in a while someone I know has a tough event in his/her life and I do what I think I should which is express support and offer help. The most common response is something like, "I'm putting my trust in Jesus....." How should atheists, or Hindus or Muslims respond?  We're just fortunate not to be murdered so I guess complaints are out of place.

One thing seems certain. The time when Christianity is the "norm" and people can assume others share it is coming to an end.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe the "Original Sin" Should be Reassigned

The Religious Capitol Invaders May Yet Win

Father Frank Pavone, the Ultimate Crook