Who is the Christian Nationalists' Favorite Candidate


God is just not coming up as often in the Republican Presidential campaign as in previous ones. I don't follow all of the candidates, especially the ones I've never heard of and are not in the news. As I recall there is a preacher who says God called him to run. After reading an in-depth article defining Christian Nationalism and reviewing its history, I got to wondering which candidate such Republicans are circling around now. Is it Trump or someone else? 

I myself do not understand precisely the code language being aimed at the Chrisitan Nationalist voter. Several seem to parrot, "I will stand up to China." While there are, no doubt, plenty of complicated issues involving China, there is one agreed upon conclusion about China today. It is on its arse. There is pressure to raise wages but gains in production per hour are not rising. It has a growing percentage of senior citizen population. A healthy Chinese economy sells cheaper goods to the U.S. and fights inflation. Nevertheless, "I will stand up to China" probably sounds enough like Christian nationalism to qualify.

I'd like to know if someone like Pence who talks frequently about his "Christian values" qualifies as a Christian nationalist. According to the internet, one part of Christian nationalism is the belief our founding fathers were deeply Christian and that there is an inevitable arch of history causing Christianity's power and influence to overcome all obstacles. We know the part about fathers is not true, they held are variety of beliefs including atheism. They were familiar with Europe's governments where politicians and Popes divided up the spoils.

I always roll my eyes when I read Pence says we need to return of "traditional Christian values" which include anti-abortion. My parents and my wife's parents were life-long Republican Christians and always believed in abortion rights. Pence is not young but he is not old enough to know what "Christian values" were in past generations.

I've wondered, too, if there are Christian nationalists who recognize Christianity is not ascending as prophesized but instead is descending. Since such people have never been on the side of "well read" it would not be a surprise if they had never heard Christianity in declining in numbers.

I'm interested in learning who will be the Christian nationalists' choice for President. So far, no one seems to know who that is.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe the "Original Sin" Should be Reassigned

The Religious Capitol Invaders May Yet Win

Father Frank Pavone, the Ultimate Crook