Thanks for Trying to Save Me, Really I'm Fine


A delightful author, born a Jew but now an atheist, published a book, The God Desire, explaining how nice it would be if there were actually a God and heaven. He has discussed the ideas in the book in his blog.

He has experienced the same thing I have experienced, lots of well-meaning people trying to explain how much happier he would be if he just believed in God. As a former Jew, he has received books, offers of coffee chats, etc. from both Jews and Christians. The offers include help to better "understand" the Bible and/or Torah so he will not need to continue his life of "misery." When I was a Mayor I had many visitors who came with the specific purpose of praying for me in person. 

While I haven't read the author's book, I gather he admits it would be pleasant to believe one never had to die, that another life happens and the second life is even better than the first one. That people prefer not to die is universal. The Torah and Bible used that fear to gain control over people. There are plenty of reasons not to believe it. In fact, it is more rational to NOT believe it even though believing the myth is more pleasant.   

The recently deceased Pat Robertson bragged all his life that he was "going to heaven." Why would someone brag about that--it has nothing to do with anyone else? It was, of course, a way of saying (1.) I'm better than you or most of you and (2.) I want my ideas to crowd out whatever ideas you have. It was part of his lifelong power play. The power play was quite successful for Pat. It did not put him in heaven because there is no heaven. But his wheeling and dealing was successful. He took money from his pleas on TV and invested it in media companies which only he and his family now own. He died a very rich man. Atheists were not affected or impressed.

When I was a Mayor a man drove over a hundred miles to pray for me. I did not know him before his visit but he told me he had a vision I had been told I had a physical defect that would soon kill me. He described precisely what the defect was and said he came to intercede with God to save my life. When I turned down his nice offer he was quite disturbed. I did not need his prayers then nor do I need anyone's now. We atheists simply are able to deal with whatever comes up without making up spirits or gods with supernatural powers.   

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe the "Original Sin" Should be Reassigned

The Religious Capitol Invaders May Yet Win

Father Frank Pavone, the Ultimate Crook