About 30% of Young People Believe They are at Least Part of the LGBTQ Community


A new poll shows an extraordinary part of young adults do not believe they are clearly man or woman, gay or straight. While this polling is new, I first read that gender and sexual preference have always been thought by those who study this as on a continuum. Back in the 1980's when I was publicly involved in gay rights I remember reading this and thinking others would like to know such information. I said it a couple of times in public and the reaction was so hostile I didn't mention it anymore. This was before the time of celebrity Chaz Bono, former daughter and now son of Cher. 

Today when I talk or overhear my children and grandchildren I realize how common it is to consider oneself gender inconclusive. I wish more people back in the 1980's had heard what I heard back then. 

The Christian polling celebrity, George Barna, thinks this has happened because young people have been subjected to unhealthy peers and information. He does not really know this, however. He is just making it up. I have heard other grandparents say some of their grandchildren, nephews and nieces are gender inconclusive.  No one  knows where it comes from or why it is more common to admit it now. Probably it was always present but recognized. Most likely, like homosexuality and heterosexuality, it cannot be changed by outside training or forces. Really, it's no one else's business. Leave them alone.

Yesterday, a Saturday, I received a call from this state's Health and Human Services Department. It was a long questionnaire about my health related habits and such. Interesting to me was the question of gender. It was "Are you male, female or identify as both?" Next, "Have you always been to that gender?" The notion "God made man male and female" was ignored. Really, the Republican dominated legislature here should stop allowing state employees from implying there could be some gender other than that named in the Bible.

Should it be of concern that 30% of young people respond they completely or partly member of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans population? I can't for the life of me see why this is something for national hand wringing or worry. It is not a moral issue. Perhaps it is an employment issue, everyone should have equal opportunity to make a living. 

The good thing is there is more acceptance than ever of gay people and those of uncertain gender.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe the "Original Sin" Should be Reassigned

The Religious Capitol Invaders May Yet Win

Father Frank Pavone, the Ultimate Crook