The Correct Pronoun for God is "They"


After I read professor Mark Silk's essay on the plural used in the Old Testament and the widely agreed upon view that the Christian god is neither male or female and Silk's conclusion the accurate pronoun is "they" I thought, "How could anyone disagree with this?"  Then I looked at the number of "agree" clicks, "disagree" and "angry."  Readers had swamped the "angry" clicks. Most readers were outraged. 

Mark Silk is a conservative Methodist. He does not crusade for trans gender or gay causes. He opposed gay clergy. His only goal is to accurately reflect what is in the Bible. 

It makes sense that most Christian readers would be angry. Most want their individual version of "God," "Jesus," and the Bible to be the one everyone else should agree with. They also want to believe their particular politics are the same ones held by God and Jesus. So, when such Christians believe God made only "man" and "woman" and transgender and homosexuality are sins they also want to believe their personal God would say, "You are SO right about that. Donald Trump is right. Sleepy Joe is wrong."

The case for using the plural pronoun "they" for God begins early in the Bible. The ancient word used now for God was then elohim. That word refers to the plural. Scholars have found it common in ancient writing for a reference to a god to be plural.

Even Jewish theologian Maimonidies around the year 1,000 CE wrote, "Every Hebrew knows the term elohim is a homonym, and denotes angels, judges, God and rulers of countries."

From Exodus, "The Lord is my strength..., They have become my salvation, they are my God and I will praise them,  my father's God, and I will exalt them."

Judging from my own adult children and grandchildren I foresee every individual referred to as "they" in the not so distant future. It is already being done for one individual in our immediate family who prefers not to be referred to as "him", "her", "he" or "she.' My wife and I do not use the pronoun "they" yet but maybe we will get the hang of it in time.

About 15 years ago a gender-neutral Bible was published. I would guess it is being used in some churches now. When lightning does not strike those churches one has to conclude they are OK.


Comments

  1. Nice trick in the attempt to harmonize , (conflating ) plurality with gender neutral issues in the context of your title. Two entirely different subjects.

    Consider ; "Let us" , "In the name(singular) of...". You did include "They" have become my salvation..." Good for you, then you drift back into non related gender neutral matters. More muddying of context.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. helper--Did you read the link? As I understand it the gender of God is uncertain.

      Delete
    2. Read the link. Actually twice, including the link, as I did your post. Again you completely miss the context of the plurality as opposed to your injection of gender neutral.
      Did you read my 2;28?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe the "Original Sin" Should be Reassigned

The Religious Capitol Invaders May Yet Win

Father Frank Pavone, the Ultimate Crook