Finding a Purpose in Life


One of the most manipulative techniques in Christianity, and other religions, is using religion to give people meaning to their lives. If life needs some "meaning" to a person the church arrives and says, "The purpose in your life is to serve an imaginary god. That god wants you to give him (us) your money." 

I've always wondered about the constant presence this question, "Why am I here?" Close to me all of my life have been people with diagnosed depression. To them, at least some of the time, life is gloom and pessimism. They seem not to have a purpose in their lives. Some of these have been Christians but the purpose posed by the faith did not help. The famous book, A Purpose Driven Life, was written by a prominent preacher. It, too, preached one finds purpose by serving the Christian God. His own son died by suicide as a young adult.

The additional question is what primitive people might have wondered their purpose in life was supposed to be. If people spent most of their day looking for food and enough shelter to stay alive, would they think their purpose in life was just to survive? I'm guessing they had their own invisible gods they needed to please and their heads were filled with mythical ideas just as are the heads of modern people.

I must confess to be taken aback at the constant warnings given me by those who comment on my blog. Dozens of times, people have given me grave warnings that I must stop writing the blog because what I write here will put me in hell in the afterlife. What strikes me as peculiar is the assumption that I am as preoccupied with my own personal benefits and well being as the writers are with their own. That is, obviously their reason for being in the faith is for their own personal benefit. Their version of A Purpose Driven Life is to feather their own eternal life. They assume that is mine and everyone else's. That someone might find purpose in something not selfish is outside their realm. 

Author and Professor Joseph Campbell said each person needs to find his/her own nirvana. That seems the case with one's "purpose" or place in life. If religion provides this and it helps, use it. Remember, however, their are nonbelievers who have happy purpose-filled lives. 

Comments

  1. your purpose in life seems to center on Christian bashing. does that make you happy and fulfilled?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe the "Original Sin" Should be Reassigned

The Religious Capitol Invaders May Yet Win

Father Frank Pavone, the Ultimate Crook