Supreme Court: LGBT People Cannot be Fired for Their Gender



The Supreme Court followed a script today that was written long ago. Decades ago it reversed a decisions allowing slavery and later segregation. Today it applied the same principle to gender. A few years ago a majority ruled in favor of allowing gay marriage.

Perhaps there are few reading this that have encountered what it deals with. In 1984 I issued the first Gay and Lesbian Awareness Week Proclamation. One of the hundreds of responses was from a local businessman I knew. He wrote me a letter explaining he was appalled at what I had done. Gay people are the dregs of humanity, he wrote. He continued that after hearing about my Proclamation he walked around his small manufacturing business on Main Avenue, Fargo, and asked every employee, "Do you think I should fire any gay employee I learn about?" He wrote that every employee answered "Yes, absolutely." He went on to explain making the public aware there are gay people puts them at risk of being fired and he intended to do so. I should resend the Proclamation, he said, and admit it was a mistake.

I knew some people who worked in his factory. There were at least a couple gay men. One can only imagine the fear they must have felt with this boss walking around telling everyone within hearing how worthless gay people were.

When I used to talk about the precarious situation gay people were in at the place of work, others would say, no, they are protected--there was a belief one could not be fired merely for being gay. That was incorrect. Only those mentioned specifically, sex, race and religion were protected. A gay person could be fired for that reason alone. Gay people in the military were kicked out, I knew a gay man from near Fargo kicked out of West Point shortly before graduating.

The Christian faction which will not hire a gay minister and condemn homosexuality from the pulpit hangs on to its Medieval ways. Eventually someone will say, "Why are we still fighting this?" and maybe such Christians will grow up and move on.


Comments

  1. Perhaps now we can do the same for unborn children and roll back Roe v. Wade and Doe v. Bolton.

    To quote the author, "Eventually someone will say, "Why are we still fighting this?" and maybe such ..." pro-abortion people "... will grow up and move on."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt Noah Jun 16, 2020 at 7:12 AM
      “To quote the author, "Eventually someone will say, "Why are we still fighting this?" and maybe such ..." pro-abortion people "... will grow up and move on."

      Wow! A worthy example of how to re-read and re-write a Bible over the course of two thousand years - plug and play.

      Matt, my day trip to a lessor basilica. Enter the spacious nave, an ambiance of kaleidoscopic color, not unpleasant to the nose. Suddenly suffering, misery, and loss. I’m dead center to depictions of a death sentence, the convict dragging the instrument of his execution through the streets, the pain on his mother’s face, three falls, stripped naked, nailed to a cross, and hung out to die. I thought, “How do I get to glad tidings, comfort, and joy from here?”

      That’s a rhetorical question Matt. I don’t want to become catechismic. Hope you eventually got to Mayo and are in full recovery.

      Delete
    2. Ardy B: I was just regurgitating what Jon said so he could see how his words look served up cold and bold.

      As for Mayo, they did nothing to help me. They tried but I seem to defy the odds of success most of the time. I am now a 4-time loser on spinal cord stimulation trials. I'm praying this cuts down my time in purgatory or pulls a few souls into Heaven. Regardless, I am a stubborn and determined patient living on the cutting edge of at least a couple of medical precipices.

      Your rhetorical question is well-answered by the eminent Archbishop Fulton Sheen. His radio and TV shows are available on Audible and I benefit from them whenever I drive. The "passion" is what was necessary for salvation of mankind.

      Act as if everything depended on you and pray as if everything depends upon Him. Bring a little comfort and joy into someone's life and you will be doing the work of Christ.

      Delete
  2. Matt--Sorry to hear your back treatment was unsuccessful. I hope some solution comes along for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe the "Original Sin" Should be Reassigned

The Religious Capitol Invaders May Yet Win

Father Frank Pavone, the Ultimate Crook