Disney Animation Children's Movie to Have Gay Theme


The Disney Corporation's Pixar division will release an animation film for children with a gay main character. Disney was early in acceptance of gay customers in its theme parks and now leads with this project. Sony pictures is working on a gay themed film for children as well. With gay films and books booming we live in a new era.

Disney had unofficial gay days at it amusement parks going back to the 1980's. In 2005 the Southern Baptist Convention and Family Values groups announced a boycott of Disney due to its ownership of the network that broadcast the TV show Ellen. The show made Ellen an attractive gay character played by real life gay comedienne Ellen Degeneres. Disney continued to thrive and a few years later I recall a Southern Baptist official being asked about the boycott. It had been called off he said.

I've read there have been several other "boycotts" of Disney for various films and for its policy of employee family benefits for gay employees. It seems to me anti gay religious views are hurting rather than helping the branches of Christianity that cling to it. 

This children thing remains a big taboo in conservative religion. I remember a service club speaking invitations I had after issuing the first Gay and Lesbian Awareness Week proclamation way back about 1984. At question time a young man with anger on his face and in his voice made a big build up to his question with a lecture about sin and morals and finally asked, "Mayor, what am I to tell my small children about you proclamation?"

I couldn't completely understand the question. Why would a parent tell a child something different than the parent would tell another adult? I said I would tell my child there are many different kinds of people in the world and that gay people happened to be attracted to the same sex as they themselves happen to be. My own children were teenagers at the time. Men in drag are reading to children in libraries now and there is no evidence it is anything but amusing to them.

There will be for proforma outrage at the Pixar movie. Then it will pass and be of no consequence whatsoever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe the "Original Sin" Should be Reassigned

The Religious Capitol Invaders May Yet Win

Father Frank Pavone, the Ultimate Crook