A New Year's Resolution: "Admit I could be wrong."


I admitted this long ago. We don't know where the universe came from, at least not yet. There is a least a slim possibility it could have some divine source. There is not evidence of such a source but I admit it cannot be completely ruled out. In this way I am not an theist but an agnostic.

So my challenge to the most devout of Christians is join me in the resolution, "I admit I could be wrong." That is, admit what you believe could be nothing but myth.

I've offered this to believing readers before but have had no takers. Every believer should have stepped forward. Most believers have a need for the faith but none have evidence other than the Bible of a Jesus or a God.

If the entire population of Christians in the U.S. could make come to the conclusion there was at least a slight possibility they are wrong perhaps we could eliminate some of the mandatory rituals the permeate life in the U.S. Prayers at public meetings requests for prayers by political leaders come to mind.  If there is the possibility we are praying to the wrong god there could be consequences.

Doubt and humility are hard to come by if we know we are right. How many times have I been warned I am headed for an eternity in hell? Those who tell me this have no doubts.

With the new decade I'm predicting trends in religion from the previous decade will continue. One is the continued decline in the number of believers. Regardless of the threats of eternity in hell, a march toward doubt, a healthy dose of skepticism continues.




Comments

  1. This is one of the most sensible things that you have yet posted. Of course, I admit that I could be wrong. wrong on just about anything complex or controversial (e.g. global warming, history, politics, religion, whatever). although I am tempted to doubt just about everything that politicians say and do, I try to avoid a skeptical dead end. after one must keep doubt and belief in balance, avoiding the Jon syndrome on one hand and a foolish credibility on the other. Some things, we must admit, are true beyond doubt (like that Jon is really real and that Julius Caesar really existed, and that the earth is round). 'nuf said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps, Jon, you should listen to the song by MercyMe entitled, "I Can Only Imagine". The YouTube link is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LonOTKVmkeo and contains the lyrics.

    There are plenty of things Christians are unsure of in their Faith. What will it be like at the final judgment. What is Heaven like? Will I be able to ask questions of Jesus in Heaven? Will I know of the sufferings of people on earth? Could a Christian be wrong if he assumes one thing about a detail of [fill in the blank]. What you won't be witnessing very often is a Christian who doubts Jesus, doubts His divinity and humanity, etc. I know you would like for people to lose their Faith but I am emboldened daily.

    Sunday evening I watched "A Hidden Life" at the Fargo Theater with my wife, brother and sister-in-law. I highly recommend it. It is a story of perseverance in Faith while doubting exactly how to live out one's Faith. Would you subject yourself to martyrdom if you could easily avoid it? Would you leave your wife and 4 young daughters when all you had to do was swear an oath to Hitler to avoid it?

    Watch the trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5J25M8Wu4c

    Faith - believing without having proof - is what God asks of us. You ask us to not believe unless we have proof. I can't buy that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. re. 4th paragraph; ..."If the ENTIRE POPULATION of Christians"..."at least a slight possibility they are wrong"..."we could eliminate some of the mandatory rituals (the)? permeate life in the U.S.prayers at public meetings requests for prayers by political leaders come to mind."

    Considering there are large associations of Christians that don't accept ;"mandatory rituals that permeate life in the U.S. prayers at public meetings requests for prayers by political leaders.. " Eliminates the needed , required, or demanded confession of ..."the possibility they are wrong...."

    re. "...wrong god"... assumes the possibility there is a right god) Pascal's wager? I don't accept Pascal's wager, but you apparently do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will go to Hell if you don't believe in God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit. You live in a world surrounded by information about God but you reject it. No one is making you believe. I'm sure a good many people are praying for your soul, including me. Repent. We all need to repent.

    It's not enough to say "I could be wrong. Jesus Christ could be divine. God could have created the world if He exists."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe the "Original Sin" Should be Reassigned

The Religious Capitol Invaders May Yet Win

Father Frank Pavone, the Ultimate Crook