Pentecostals Have a Plan for You



Next year Pentecostals are planning a massive rally in Jerusalem. They intend to host worshipers from around the world.

Their stated goal is to see every human in the world have a personal encounter with the Holy Spirit. That includes you and me.

Most readers may already know Pentecostalism is a branch of the faith which puts little emphasis on rituals like communion and baptism. Instead followers believe they have established a direct connection to the Holy Spirit. It is the ultimate case, at least as I understand it, of each person having her own individual religion. They use the word "experiential" to describe their faith. Perhaps the best know brand of this faith is Assembly of God.

The growth of this branch of the faith gives followers optimism for the future. They claim one/forth of all Christians are Pentecostals. That is one out of every 12 humans across the globe.

It's hard for me to believe so many people in the past and many in the future would experience this kind of religious sensation. My thinking is this audience is limited.  Yet, I have known such people and some were members main line Protestant denominations.

I had an experience decades ago when I was a Mayor when we were members of First Presbyterian. After the Sunday morning sermon we are enjoying coffee and visiting. A woman I knew sought me out and to ask passionately what I, the Mayor, was doing in response to the large presence of the Holy Spirit going on right then in my city. People everywhere were meeting and experiencing it, she said.

I didn't know what to say. No one else had mentioned it and if they had I did not see any role for a Mayor. I knew this lady sometimes took off in unusual directions so I assumed she would soon move on to something else. I never heard about it again.

A world where many are talking to imaginary gods, be they Greek gods or Christian, does not seem a good place. Gods tell people to murder and go to war. Perhaps Pentecostalism will have its day in the sun and then fade like all religions have done before.


Comments

  1. Ah yes. The emotions of experential decision theology. Made popular by Billy Graham's "Hour of decision" "Reach out and touch the TV if you choose Him". Then make an alter call every Sunday for reassurance of your decision.
    As opposed by John 15;16; "You did not choose me, I chose you."

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very impressive how a book of inerrant, some say infallible, scripture can stand up 700+ “Pentecostal denominations and many independent churches” with varying names, practices, and doctrines. That would make this book of scripture more a large tinker toy set than a one size fits all foundation. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentecostalism

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe the "Original Sin" Should be Reassigned

The Religious Capitol Invaders May Yet Win

Father Frank Pavone, the Ultimate Crook