Is It Correct to Say, "People have a need for religion."



I read an installment written by a young man, an atheist, who is trying to rediscover his faith by walking through Europe. He is following the path it is believed Christianity followed through the various countries. It sounds like he is on a commercially organized tour but I could be wrong. Like a gazillion others each year, he is writing a book about rediscovering his faith.

He drops in often the "need" of people to have a faith. When he passed through the town of a famous atheist he found it "empty." In my opinion he is projecting on to others his own personal state of mind.

He refers to Europe as the theological home of the Christian faith. When he then talks of a "need" people have for the faith, surely he is referring to Europe as well as the U. S. If Europeans "need" the faith their empty churches are right there in front of them. They walk on past them and they now poll majority non Christian. Obviously, it is not true Europeans need Christianity. The author and many others are telling Europeans they need it.

The are people, perhaps the majority of people I have known in my long life, who are happier because of the faith. They need it and it should be available to them. The problem with the faith comes when sweeping generalizations are made about what is good for other people. Prayers at public meetings and religious displays on public property are examples of projecting one person's or group's needs onto everyone else.

Within religion itself there are arguments about what others "need." Decades ago my wife and I went to rural Mexico a few times. It was surreal to see magnificent cathedrals surrounded by abject poverty. Surely the poor people were not asked it they needed such a church, others thought they did.

We who are God free are tempted to say believers do not need religion. We are tempted to say it after being told we need religion. It would be a better world if we were never told we needed religion and we never told others they do not.

Comments

  1. First of all he is lying. Lying about wishing to rediscover his faith. This is a common deceptive ploy used by the unscrupulous to gain an empathetic start towards redirecting one's beliefs. A very common example is the caller on the radio talk show saying, "I've always voted Democrat but this time I'm thinking I will have to switch to Republican". When actually he has never voted Democrat his whole life. The reality of the lies religion lives off and perpetuates, accommodates more lies for the 'higher purpose'. Only when one's eyes are opened to the lies and free of their hold on them does actual 'truth' suffice in the atheist's argument.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Max--"First of all he is lying. Lying about wishing to rediscover his faith."

      Could well be. It could be he is like so many who "testify" about their very sinful pasts. Just how "sinful" they were is anyone's guess. It makes for better story if one claims to have been sinful or having been an atheist. It's hard for me to understand someone who decided there is not and never has been a god to then experience some trauma and decide there really is a god. More likely, I think, they always thought there was a god but did not mentally connect it the imaginary being. Then something happened and the god image was needed.

      Delete
  2. Jon, on the link I got as far as the title of an opinion piece, “A Cure for the Malnutrition of the Soul”. Then boom! I needed a free account to continue. No thanks. Here is some nourishment: A long while back a Christian friend said she was becoming less enthusiastic about her faith. I told her when I take my constitutional and realize I’m further out than I want to be I tell myself no matter how far I roam when I turn back I’m half way home.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe the "Original Sin" Should be Reassigned

The Religious Capitol Invaders May Yet Win

Father Frank Pavone, the Ultimate Crook